This information provided by Preston County Humane Society is accurate as of June, 2017. To update or confirm the information, contact the resources below.



If an animal is in immediate danger call 911.


To report animal neglect, abuse, or cruelty call Preston County Sheriff's office: 304-329-1611


Lost and found pets:

Call Preston County Animal Shelter 304-329-3461,

see the shelter Facebook page, or email:

Check the "Mon and Preston County Rumor Mill" Facebook page -

many found pets are posted.


The Preston County Sheriff's Tax Office can research the owner of a lost dog wearing a tax tag, call 304-329-0105 during business hours.


Animal poisoning

the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline 888-426-4435.

Help is available 24/7/365. There may be a consultation fee.

A free phone app is offered to learn about poisons, symptoms, and treatments.



Emergency veterinary clinics:

Cheat Lake Animal Hospital, open 24/7 just off Rt 43 on the Fairchance Road near Cheat Lake. Phone: 304-594-1124. Website:


North Central West Virginia Emergency Vet Clinic, open evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. 1-79, exit 139, Pricket's Fort exit, Fairmont. Phone: 304-363-2227


Injured, ill, or orphaned birds:

contact the Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia, based in Morgantown,  at 304-906-5438. Website:

WV Raptor Rehabilitation Center, Bunners Ridge,  Fairmont. 304-366-2867;


Disaster Response: Preston County Disaster Animal Response Team, contact Preston County Office of Emergency Management 304-329-1855. Team has a Facebook page.



Preston County Humane Society, website: PCHS may provide help with sick or injured animal vet expenses and urgent pet food needs.

PCHS does not operate a shelter or foster program.

For financial assistance to get a pet spayed/neutered, call PCHS at 304-435-1808.


Pet food assistance is often available at the Raymond Wolfe Center, Price Street, Kingwood. Call 304-329-3644.

Preston County Animal Shelter may also have pet food available: 304-329-3461. has programs to help with the cost of urgent/emergency vet care, resources

for pets in domestic violence situations, grants to pet food pantries, and disaster relief.


For information on creating a Disaster Plan and Disaster Kit for your pets, including for farm animals, visit and search the topic "disaster preparedness."

To learn about West Virginia animal laws and legislative action, visit the website for The Federation of Humane Organizations of West Virginia:

To adopt a pet, visit Preston County Animal Shelter or see available animals at Enter your zip code to view photos and link to reputable area rescue and adoption organizations.